Hi there! I've been seeing a lot of meet the artist things going around on Instagram, and I thought it might be fun to share some facts about myself because it is always fun for me to learn about the person behind the art. I tried to share some things that I don't mention too often elsewhere and hopefully they are interesting. Writing this brought me right back to being 14 when Facebook notes were all the rage.
1. My default handwriting is cursive. It hasn’t always been this way, but I started writing in cursive after college as a way to improve my script, and it quickly became the automatic and fastest way for me to write.
2. The weirdest place I have ever gotten my hair cut is at a bar in Berlin.
3. I studied abroad for a semester in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2013.
4. In high school I took art history instead of a studio art class to fill my art requirement, because I thought I wouldn’t be good at art.
5. I have trouble concentrating or getting work done after 6 PM. I’m not sure if I count as a morning person since I don’t wake up super refreshed and ready to go at 5:30 AM, but in college my most efficient paper writing got done before class, when I sat up in bed, grabbed my laptop and wrote before doing anything else.
6. The books that I have acquired (not from the library) so far in 2017 are Act of God by Jill Ciment, Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, Love and Other Ways of Dying by Michael Paterniti, There Is No Good Card for This by Kelsey Crowe and Emily McDowell, Heads or Tails by Lilli Carre, and Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell. Some new, some used, some for free from the little free library.
7. In high school I was voted most unique. Reasons for this included the fact that I carried the world’s largest neon yellow backpack and I had a formidable collection of colored and patterned tights.
8. I’m not allergic to anything except dust, which makes me sneeze a lot, and breath freshener spray, which gives me hives on my tongue.
9. In middle school I came in second place in an art competition. The theme was “I Wonder Why” and the title of my entry was “I Wonder Why There Has to Be War.” So yeah.
10. I’ve had my ears pierced since I was a toddler, but I can’t wear earrings because all of them hurt my ears.
11. I am left handed.
12. In my childhood/teenage bedroom I covered my closet doors in collage. In my first college dorm, our room was the only room on the floor with hideous wood paneling, so my roommate and I covered as much of it as possible with posters. I still tape tons of stuff to my wall to this day.
13. My go-to Starbucks order is a chai latte. I don’t drink full-on coffee because it makes me jittery.
14. I have a weird habit of taking photos of pages of books to remember lines that I like, but not recording the title of the book so I have to do some sleuthing to figure out what they’re from. Here are a few that I found in my photo library if you’re interested.
- “But whatever, we descendants of the Girl Line may not have wealth and proper windows in our drafty homes but at least we have rage and we will build empires with that, gentlemen.” - Miriam Toews, All My Puny Sorrows
- “Keep in mind that for most of history people just made things, and they didn’t make such a big freaking deal out of it” - Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic
- “Like, if I want to eat six Tootsie Pops and a Totino’s for dinner, I’ll also buy a lemon and a bag of baby carrots to show that I am a virtuous and cosmopolitan duchess who just needs to keep her pantry stocked with party pizza in case any Ninja Turtles stop by. The carrots are for me, Belvedere.” - goddess of my heart, Lindy West, Shrill (There are also lots of really thought-provoking and profound things in this book and I highly recommend that you read it, but I picked the passage that makes me laugh out loud to share today).
15. I have three tattoos, a moon, a celtic knot, and a line from Oedipus at Colonus, the ancient Greek play by Sophocles.
I you had fun reading this! Please feel free to share some random facts about yourself, I'd love to get to know you better too.